Every ‘sugar-freer’ needs to have some kind of slice in their arsenal for those times when you need to take morning tea to work…or like us, for those times when you have the Mormons showing up for a chat at 3pm.
The recipe for this quick and easy chocolate slice is on the Sweet Poison forum website, so I’m not giving away any trade secrets. The slice is made using dextrose as a replacement for sugar, so it’s fructose free.
1 1/4 c SR Flour
2 T Cocoa, sifted
3/4 c Coconut
1/2 c Dextrose
1. Mix the dry ingredients together.
2. Melt butter. Beat the egg and add to dry ingredients along with butter, mix well and press into a lined biscuit tray.
3. Bake for 10-12 min in moderate oven. (It may not look completely cooked but that’s okay.)
4. Remove from oven, mix ‘icing’ with 1 cup dextrose, 2 T cocoa powder and enough water to make a runny paste. Cover slice with icing while still warm.
5. Sprinkle with coconut and cool in fridge to set. Enjoy!
Just a quick note on dextrose. It is a much better alternative than sugar but is still high in calories, so I advise eating dextrose treats in moderation if you are watching your weight. If you live in Australia you can get some dextrose specially made for cooking and baking from the Sugar Breakup. That’s right. They’ve got you covered. (Ship to NZ you guys?)
P.S. No, we’re not becoming Mormons 🙂 Merely being hospitable! Everyone’s welcome at our house.
Check out the Women Living Well Link Up Party